Wednesday 12 November 2008

From Manly to Spring Cove

Manly is one of my favourite beaches in Sydney. This morning, it looked very quiet, but because of strong undercurrents, you couldn't go for a swim.


I followed the coast path leading to Spring Cove, a calm walk away from the crowd.
After a few meters, I got welcomed by this beautiful octopus.


But this was only the beginning. In the next little wood, I suddenly heard something big moving... I thought I was back to prehistory!


Waterdragons can get quite big. This one was about 60 cm. But he didn't seem to like getting his picture taken very much.


Anyway, I was the only one being amazed by his presence. Everyone else was just passing by, without even watching it. And later on I understood why... There were dozens of them sunbaking!
This part of Sydney seems to be quite rich in wild life... But I haven't seen any of those cute bandicoots.


After about two hours, this was Collins Beach. A magnificent wild little place, still in its virgin state.


A bit further in Spring Cove, it seemed that everything had stayed untouched...


It is hard to imagine that in the 1920s, this place was chosen as a gasworks site.


But the factory closed in 1964 and some years later, the whole area was cleaned, becoming the perfect place to spend a day out.

A little walk brought me to the wharf, and after a ferry ride, here I was again, in the city.

No comments: